Food & Agriculture Policy Officer (M/F)
WWF believes in a future where people and nature thrive, so we’re committed to safeguarding the natural world. WWF has teams of experts working in over 100 countries to protect the natural resources that sustain and inspire us: our forests, rivers, oceans, climate, food and wildlife. WWF harnesses the collective power of supporters around the world, communities, companies and governments to create real solutions for people and the planet. One of the ways we’re safeguarding the natural world is by raising funds to support our fields projects.
WWF employs knowledgeable, talented people who are passionate about engaging and inspiring others. People who share our optimism that it’s possible to change the world. People who are determined to make a difference.
The global agri-food systems are essential to sustain the human population, but today, food production, transformation, distribution, over-consumption and waste constitute a primary cause of biodiversity loss, land use change, depletion of finite natural resources like water, and climate change.
Demand for agricultural commodities is rising rapidly as the world's population grows. Agriculture’s deep connections to the world economy, human societies and biodiversity make it one of the most important conservation issues around the globe. That’s why WWF is playing a key role in the transition towards resilient, eaquitable and sustainable agri-food systems. The organization is working with the agri-food sector and developing strategies that focus on more sustainable farming and production, landscape protection, reduction of food loss and waste, and more sustainable consumer choices for healthy diets.
Purpose of the job
Together with different stakeholders, work on food to reduce Belgian’s overall impact and work on agriculture in Belgium to offer solutions for a transition to agro-ecological farming. Main responsibilities
Advocacy to policy-makers, business and civil society to raise awareness of and influence WWF's missions in decision-making on sustainable food
- Following political dossiers on sustainable food and agriculture
- Engaging and negotiating with decision-makers (politicians, trade unions, companies, agriculture organisations, etc.), formalising agreements and partnerships
- Engaging and coordinating with other NGOs and think tanks at Belgian level in respect to sustainable food and agriculture systems
- Providing advice, information and recommendations on sustainable food and agriculture
- Critically monitoring the performance of the actions on the development of sustainable agriculture systems and responsible sourcing of food commodities in Belgium
Develop knowledge on the thematic, and guarantee expert support to the organization on sustainable food
- Being up to date on the latest research on sustainable food and agriculture, as well as WWF international positions.
- Providing in-house expertise on the issue and being able to quickly respond to internal and external requests for information
- Develop knowledge on business cases for alternative agriculture models and financial mechanisms to facilitate the transition towards agro-ecology farming
Represent WWF through defending our positions:
- Representing WWF Belgium in various national and international working groups, conferences, and symposia, including giving presentations and interviews
- Influencing Belgian decision-makers on WWF positions on sustainable food and agriculture
- Having and building a strong network around food and agriculture
- Passionate about WWF’s mission and vision
- At least Master level (or similar) in Science or Bio-engineering (agriculture, food systems or related disciplines), or related to the topic area
- 5 years+ of work experience in a similar field
- Good working knowledge of Dutch, French and English
- Experience with financial instruments is an added value
- Good knowledge of the Walloon agriculture stakeholders is an added value
- Knowledge of the Belgian political system
- Experience in political and corporate engagement
- Proactive and independent individual but also a real team player
- Able to prioritize, adapt in a fast-moving context
- Willing to travel occasionally
- Being able to produce high-quality work, even with tight deadlines
- A great work place in a young, dynamic and innovative team, located in the heart of Brussels, easily accessible by public transport
- A full-time permanent contract
- An attractive salary package for the sector including meal vouchers, group insurance, health insurance, 100% reimbursement of the costs of public transport
- Working in national and international context
- The opportunity to contribute to the mission of WWF and to share our values
How to apply?
Apply only by using the Application button below the Ad on WWF’s jobsite: